June 8, 2020 - PMA Town Hall
Division Chair Fiona Harrison hosted a town hall meeting where she discussed limited resumption of research activities on campus and answered questions from the PMA community.
The presentation slides can be viewed HERE.
June 4, 2020 - Information on Lab Reopening
Dear PMA Community
As you are aware, the Division is preparing to approve limited resumption of research activities on campus. Next Monday's town hall will be an opportunity to both learn more about how we are proceeding, and also ask questions. However, we are writing to address immediate issues that are arising.
First, we want to very clearly emphasize that at this stage we are approving only extremely limited activities that must take place in laboratories on campus. This necessarily means that the vast majority of you will continue to work from home. Now that teaching is ending and access to campus for this purpose is no longer needed, if you are not part of an approved laboratory plan, you may only come to campus to retrieve items from your office after requesting this access from the Division.
The Division is slowly ramping up research, beginning with the lowest-risk, highest impact activities in this first phase. We will continuously monitor and track the number of people in our footprint in order to provide a safe environment for those few individuals who are returning in this phase. We may also need to adjust our plans after reopening if circumstances dictate. We also want to emphasize that participation in on-campus research is strictly voluntary. Anyone who has concerns about this point should reach out to one of the following contacts within the Division:
- Fiona Harrison – PMA Division Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shruthi Aradhya – PMA Division Operations Officer – email@example.com
- Nam Ung – PMA Director of Student Programs - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each building will have designated entrance(s) and designated exit(s). We ask that everyone look for signs posted near exterior doors and follow the directions. This is to reduce the number of times people cross paths when coming and going.
- Most buildings will have hand sanitizer dispensers installed at the main entrance and exits. Additionally, the Division will be placing additional hand sanitizer bottles in all bathrooms.
- All common spaces in our buildings will be blocked off with caution tape. Kitchens, lounges, and other open collaboration spaces will be taped off. This is to discourage socializing at this time, therefore, we ask that you respect the intent.
- No food or drink should be prepared in any building, or consumed in common areas. We will be posting signs stating this throughout our buildings.
- Wear a face covering (disposable or cloth face covering) at all times, wash hands frequently, and follow all required physical distancing and safety protocols.
- Stay at home if you are sick, or if you have been in close proximity to someone who shows flu-like or cold-like symptoms even if symptoms are mild.
- Agree to COVID-19 testing if you are symptomatic, if you come into close contact with someone who is COVID-19-positive, or if the Institute establishes a screening process.
- Take the flu vaccine when available unless exempted for medical reasons.
- Become familiar with the posted training materials, protocols, and policies on the Returning to Campus website, which can be found here: https://coronavirus.caltech.edu/returning-to-campus
- Watch the Institute created training video provided here: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/df01088b-9b67-4fec-bd00-50b438b906e5/review. Your completion of the training video will serve as your acknowledgment that you understand and agree to comply with all COVID-19 health and safety policies and protocols.
- Certify each day that you have been free of COVID-19 symptoms for the preceding 14 days and that you record your contacts and daily work locations while on campus. The institute has created a form for this, which can be found here: https://coronavirus.caltech.edu/documents/14188/Health_Attestation_and_Location_Log.pdf
- Submit to temperature testing or other health monitoring measures on campus.
Fiona Harrison & Shruthi Aradhya